Friday, December 3, 2010

Road Trip.


I'm ridiculously excited. I'm taking a road trip--by myself! I'm heading up to Winston-Salem, NC for the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association's Sustainable Agriculture Conference. What's even more exciting than the fact that I received a "Beginning Farmer" scholarship that covers the cost of the conference--I am spending two (yes, TWO) nights in a hotel. Alone.

No little boy whining when I make him turn off the Wii.

No girlie talking my ears off about her NEED for a horse.

No college boy calling for cash. (Actually, I suppose he can still call me...but my phone will be off the majority of the time.)

No pups whining at 7 a.m. to go out. No cats meowing at 7 a.m. to be fed.

No hubby snoring in my ear. (Sorry, honey...I'm just looking forward to a good night's sleep.)

Actually...

...it sounds a little lonely.

I can't remember the last time I've been away from my family. I think it might have been the Great College Tour I took with Tyler a few years ago, but still--I was on serious Mom-Duty. Airports. Colleges. Auditions. Schedules. It was nutty.

While it feels very self-indulgent to attend the conference, I 'm excited for all of the workshops--there's still so much to learn, and CFSA recruited the cream-of-the-crop (pardon the pun) to lead the sessions. In case you aren't familiar with CFSA, the organization is devoted to helping "people in the Carolinas grow and eat local, organic foods by advocating for fair farm and food policies, building the systems family farms need to thrive, and educating and organizing farmers and the communities they serve."

Pretty noble organization, huh?

So, my friends, I'm off to pack my bag for my Mommy/Farmer road trip. I hope I remember how to make conversation with grown-ups. I think I'll brush up on the varieties of tomatoes I grow, just in case...

Tomorrow, though...I'm learning about mushrooms. My new, cute little netbook and I will fill you in on the exciting happenings of the CFSA conference throughout the weekend, so stay tuned! 

I just wish I could clone myself so that I could attend all of the workshops and events. 

So much to learn, so little time...

Happy Friday!

XO ~

Julie

4 comments:

  1. Don't apologize for being excited! Everybody needs time for themselves. Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Enjoy your alone time. I don't think that we women always give ourselves permission for stuff like that, so it's good when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how exciting! That must have been a wonderful conference. I should see if they have things like that in my area!

    And I agree with your daughter ;) She does NEED a horse ;) LOL

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind words :)

    ReplyDelete